Update #2 (Wingard Travels) May 09

Gary & Carolyn Gary & Carolyn

Update #2 (Wingard Travels) May 09

Hi everyone - Here it is almost a month since our post (thanks to Rick for reminding me)- time sure flys when you are having fun.  When we last left you we were in Buena Vista, VA (along the Blue Ridge Parkway).  We next went to Summerville, WV.  We had a campground on top of hill - beautiful.  Gary played guitar that night outside as we watched deer walk around.  We visited the New River Gorge Bridge and an old mining town (Thurmond).  We left there on 30 Apr, arriving in Harper's Ferry, WV the same day.  What a great historic town - at the intersection of the Potamic and Shenandoah Rivers.  Even though it was raining we saw all the historic sites and ate at the "Secret Six Tavern" - so named for the 6 men who secretly funded John Brown's raid on Harper's Ferry.  While in the area, we visited my Aunt Sis whom I had not seen in 15 years!  She is 90 years old and a real gem!  We then left for Liverpool, PA where we visited the "sweetest place on earth", Hershey (Home of the Hershey Chocolate Company), PA.  We then drove to Milford PA where we saw Bushkill and Dingman Falls as well as having lunch at Blairstown (from movie fame).  On 7 May, we arrived in Niantic, CT where we parked the RV, bedded the cats at a kitty B&B and rode the ferry over to Long Island where we spent 4 days with my Uncle Bob.  He is a professor at NYU and we got to exprience one of his lectures - really neat.  On the way to Plymouth, MA we stopped at Providence, RI and walked along the river.  In Plymouth we visited "the rock" and then drove to Provincetown where we climbed the Pilgrim Tower ( way up there!) which is a memorial to where the pilgrims first landed before heading to Plymouth.  We then headed  to Maine which included a LONG tunnel under Boston!  We stayed near Bar Harbor and the area is gorgeous.  We visited Acadia National Park and climbed Cadillac Mt.  On 18 May, we left for New Brunswick, Canada where we spent 4 days visiting Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia and the Hopewell Rocks (Flowerpots).  We searched and search for a moose but never did find one!  We arrived back in Maine yesterday yesterday camping near Katahdin Mt.  The campground is full of familys enjoying the Memorial Day Weekend.  Today we attended church at the local 1st Baptist Church and then took a scenic drive thru Baxter State Park.  We bought some live lobsters (reasonable here) and cooked those in the RV for dinner - awesome.  We leave here on Tuesday on our way to Augusta, Me where we plan on visiting an old Army buddy of my Dad's as well as eating some more lobster.  Will send another update in a couple of weeks.  Thanks for your responses and prayers.  Gary and Carolyn
Toni M Toni M

Re: Update #2 (Wingard Travels) May 09

HELLO !!!!  Just reading about your travels, wears me out, but boy you sure know how to pack it in.  I can tell you planned this well.  Thanks for sharing with us and we thank God that you are well and enjoying.  Be safe and remember us working folk, prayers are with you.
-------------- Original message from "Gary & Carolyn (via Nabble)" <[hidden email]>: --------------

[...]

FTC,

Toni
Rick Long Rick Long

Re: Update #2 (Wingard Travels) May 09

Carolyn,

Thanks for sending me the pictures.  You can "insert images" here on the message board and post your pictures here for all to see.  I'm going to add them to this post.

 US ON THE PARKWAY

  IN THE RAIN AT CHOCOLATE WORLD

  GARY AT CHOCOLATE WORLD

    US AT BUSHKILL

    US AT THE FALLS

  US AT LACY FALLS

  US AT NATURAL BRIDGE

  US AT NEW RIVER GORGE

  US NEAR BOTTOM OF GORGE

  2nd TRIP ON BIKES

  CARNI FEX FERRY

  ON OUR BIKES

  US AT ACADIA NAT'L PARK

  US AT DINGMAN FALLS

  US AT HARPERS FERRY

  US AT HOPEWELL ROCKS, NB

  US AT MYSTIC PIZZA

  US AT PLYMOUTH, MA

We are all envious of your adventure.  Keep the updates coming.  We love pictures too (it makes us feel like we are there with you).
Your FTC,
Rick
Rick Long Rick Long

Re: Update #2 (Wingard Travels) May 09

Below are emails received this weekend from Gary and Carolyn about their visit to Mount Washington Observatory.  Hard to believe we were close to 90 degrees yesterday and they were in such a cold place....with hail, wind, and cold.

Good Morning!

We, Carolyn and I, are going to try to visit the Mount Washington, New
Hampshire, Weather Observatory today and they have a webcam that updates
every 15 minutes. If we time it right, we can call you from there and you
can see us live. We will most likely be shivering cold, as it is one of the
windiest places in the world. We will not get there until at least 2:00 pm,
EST. It costs $31.00 for us just to get there by auto. We will take our own
pictures, so if you are busy and can't make it, we'll send you a copy.

The link below should get you to the webcam site at the observatory. You
will not have to "join" any groups to see the cam that updates every 15
minutes. If we don't have your phone number, you might just catch us there
between 2 and three this afternoon.

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/cam/deck/

Having fun on the road,
Gary

Then we get this email......

So,
We get there and the auto drive is closed from wind, rain, and snow. It is
too dangerous for travelers on the road to the top.
So,
we wait until they let us through the gate at about 4:00 pm. At 4:45 pm May
31, we stand on the Deck and strike a pose. I call Dad and left a message
that I was finally there if he wanted to see us. We were told that the
pictures are archived. I just found out that they are archived at the end of
each month.
So,
Attached is a picture I took with my camera for you. It was about 30 degrees
and about 50 mph winds with hail when I took the pictures.
Wow, what an adventure. Wish you all could be here.
Love,
Gary an Carolyn

Your FTC,
Rick